Monday, February 11, 2008

Mixing bowl of events!

Hello all!

Once again, a crazy week has transpired here in Crofton, British Columbia. Some highs, some lows and a lot of in betweens.
Alright, let me run through the week for you. This week was Gospels class which was quite something! Our professor was Wes Olmstead who is a heck of guy. Knows his stuff through and through! He actually read all of his scripture references out of a Greek bible that he just translates to us as he reads! Wacky!
So that was really neat! Learned a lot, maybe a little too much! I woke up on Wednesday and really needed to take the day off to try and churn over what has already been crammed in my brain! It was all good information and great to hear, but perhaps a little (or a lot) too much in such a short period of time!
We had a quiz on Friday because over the course of the course... we had to memorize the chapter contents of the entire book of Matthew. So as best as I know, I could tell you where everything in Matthew happens based on their chapters. So on the final quiz of that, got 15/20 which sucked cause I made a couple stupid mistakes, but quickly forgiven because I could barely remember my name because my brain is doing it's best to store all this information!
So a great week, it's neat to have your focus of your life (job, school etc) focused on the Word and figuring it out and talking about it. I quite enjoy it!!
We sat down for supper one evening and there was a girl sitting with us who is now on staff and was from a Kaleo from a past year and her first question was "did you get angry?" which I thought was an obscure question right off but thinking about it afterwards, I was a definite "Yes!". It was a tiring class not only because of the information overload, it also entailed really taking it in and testing it against your own personal theology and seeing what matches and what really doesn't. So there were a few hours in there that I just hated being there because either he was trying to make a point by holding the whole point back or just coming at something from a weird angle.
Another qualm that I had, and struggled with is that I learn by taking what I am being taught and building on it or applying it or connecting it to other things. Briercrest doesn't seem to lend well to that. (e.g. In Pentateuch class, we were talking about the Flood and it's philosophical and theological meanings and they were tying it back into the Pentateuch with examples and I raised my hand and brought up a connection with baptism and how that would be a great connection. Got shot down and dropped... ) So there's a seeming one-trackedness to the whole thing which I don't respond well to.
But enough griping and complaining, sorry about that. :)

Fun stuff! We went curling on Saturday night!! I've never curled before and am certainly no prodigy but the sliding was a good time. Actually my favorite part of the whole experience. Curling was fun too.
We had Youth on Friday which went amazingly. There was a leaders meeting on Thursday and God really moved in it. There's a new pastor at New Life now and he's stepping up and pushing God where God needs to be in the youth program so Youth on Friday was a lot of leadership confession and letting the kids know that they have been let down as far as models of the Faith goes which I think the kids responded to in a huge way! So exciting events seeing God moving in His church with a new generation!


Prayer: I haven't been sleeping well and been really lonely in my heart which I don't really understand. I'm looking forward to figuring out what this is for. I am going to write an exam in two hours which I'm thinking is not going to go well. The principle of the whole thing is that we pretty much have to prepare 9 essays and 3 will be on this exam and we have to recite what we had... I don't like the principle. So I'm not sure what you'd pray for that... that it doesn't hurt to much? :P We'll see, I've learned what I want from the class and the exam seems to be a 'recite back to me what you learned' which I don't quite agree with.
I am hopefully going to have my interview soon for Assistant Head Counselor which I'm excited about but haven't heard anything or been called for it so not sure what that's all about.

Thank you for your prayers, you are taking great care of me and I thank you for keeping me safe and sound in Him.

4 comments:

Ma Jean said...

HI mark: Look forward for a word from you each week. I am SO proud of you Mark it brings me to tears! You are doing a tremendous job, and are a real thinker, not just a follower. I know God has something very special for you in His vineyard somewhere in the future. We pray for you daily, and I know God knows the need even if we don't. Much love Grammy

markf said...

Thank you Grammie! I'm really glad you're writing and I can get my going's on to you. I never was any good at following up with emails so I'm glad you're on board cause I love that you can see what is going on in my life.
Love you Grammie!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Grammy!!! 100%, Mark my fine young man, you are digging deep and even if you're shot down, you're causing 'ripples' because maybe someone in the class the baptism connection (I can't remember the exact comment - but I do remember my little pumpkin was 'shut down' - but, I bet you stimulated someone on a new train of thought, perspective and that is GREAT!!!! The Shack book has been causing quite a stir, I've bought & passed around 8 copies - I LOVED THE RELATIONSHIP!!! THAT is what I keep chewing on, just how loved, absolutely loved we are. BUT, I'm really proud of the knowledge you're getting, the challenges being thrown to you, and it's hard and the best all at the same time. You are just a sweetie!!! Take care, have fun and just keep on digging deeper, you're a great story teller!!! I'm so happy I found your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hello My little parrot!!! I love that you're learning to 'recite back' what you hear. Remember to smile ;)